DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT:
The purpose of this project was to organize and evaluate Financial Management and Policy training among 35 officers and specialists working in the Office of Finance and Treasury of Municipal Government of Ulaanbaatar city in order to assist them in improving the fiscal capacity and performance of the city.
With the initiative of the Ulaanbaatar City Mayor and the support of the Asian Foundation, IRIM successfully implemented the “Financial management and policy training” project from 27th of September to 30th of December 2010. IRIM was selected to implement the project based on its previous experience of conducting cost-effective training and evaulations.
The training sessions used various participatory methods and the following experts were commissioned to conduct the training sessions:
- Joshi Ravikant: Citizenship of India, Expert on Urban finance and policy and adviser to CRISIL Risk and Infrastructure Solutions Ltd.
- Dashdorj Luvsandash: Public finance advisor to the president of Mongolia
Otgontuya Langan: Academy of Management, Director of Institute of Management and Policy study.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED:
As part of the project IRIM developed a training module and manual on several topics including but not limited to:
- International best practice of decentralized budgeting;
- Information and understanding about legal environment of budgeting - Budget Law of Mongolia and Law of Mongolia on the Legal Status of the Capital City;
- Advanced understanding of budget decentralization, tax and stock market; and
- Exploring and using the opportunities for improving the budgeting process and fiscal performance.
Throughout the project, IRIM maintained liaised with experts and stakeholders and produced high quality reports and training manuals.
World Vision Mongolia (WVM)
Zoological Society of London