DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT:
The main purpose of the Glass Wallet capacity building and advocacy project was to provide analytical and methodological support and necessary training and guidelines for the local budget organizations in improving their budget transparency. On the other hand, short term training sessions on how citizens can participate in budget planning and processing were held for CSOs and citizens. Based on the two separate types of workshop, a forum gathering both officials and citizens were held. The forum focused on the topic of ‘effective partnership’ between the local governments and citizens’ associations and CSO’s in improving the budget transparency and civic participation.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED:
- Conducted monitoring on the local development fund and organized a series of discussion with citizens during the situational analysis stage;
- A training manual specifically designed for local government officials was developed by IRIM using international best practice and local context;
- A series of six training workshops named “Initiative for Open Budget” and “Open budget – Citizen Participation” were conducted for local government officials in three districts of Ulaanbaatar and three aimags of Mongolia using the developed training manual;
- A pilot project model was designed by IRIM specifically for Bayanzurkh district which was selected as the pilot district;
- Glass Wallet-2 campaign was organized in Bayanzurkh district involving both citizens and officials. In this respect, an educational TV program was designed broadcast through MNB.
Within the framework of the campaign, the project team provided methodological support for the budget organizations to organize Open Budget days and provide information regarding budget amount and spending for interested citizens and hosted several discussions with participation of government bodies and citizens.
Transparency International Mongolia
Save the Children Japan in Mongolia